Get ready for the best wine and lifestyle festival in the Klein Karoo! Calitzdorp, the Port Capital of South Africa, is the place to be over the weekend of 18 to 20 May as visitors from across the country make their way to the annual Absa Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festival.
Promising to be bigger and better in 2012, new programme events assure visitors that the festival will be a guaranteed social calendar highlight. Furthermore, the organising committee is extremely proud to announce that Absa has awarded the festival a 3-year headline sponsorship contract. So come join us in Calitzdorp in celebration of our wonderful diversity of wines, local produce, fauna, flora and natural beauty – the tourism destination of choice!
The Absa Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festival will be hosted by renowned Port producers, Axe Hill, Boplaas, Calitzdorp Cellar, De Krans, Du’SwaRoo, Peter Bayly, TTT and Withoek in partnership with naming right sponsor Absa, from 2012 to 2014.
Following the outstanding success of the 2009 and 2011 Festivals, the 2012 Absa Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festival will again be centred at the historic Calitzdorp Railway Station, well-complimented by a full and fabulous programme of events at the various wine cellars and village venues.
New and not-to-be-missed events include:
• Barrel samples of the unique Calitzdorp Blend (from Portuguese cultivars), to be launched at the festival, will be available at the eight cellars in Calitzdorp. Be the first to sample this unique wine offering in the country!
• A unique cooking demonstration with Emile Joubert and Elize Beyers Tinta Barocca, Touriga Nacional and Port wines from Calitzdorp;
• The first ever ostrich on the spit braai! Will it take the region by storm?? Come along to find out!
• A Cheese & Wine Celebration ‘PORT, WINE & PLAASKAAS hosted by Cape Wine Academy Master Junel Vermeulen and cheese experts Brian & Jo Dick, will showcase regional and international cheeses with Port and port cultivar wines;
• A special journey into the past with “Stoep Stories” will be hosted by Ollie Viljoen & Kie. Sit back and unwind with wine and snacks on the Calitzdorp Cellar verandah overlooking the beautiful Gamka Valley as you travel back in time to the slower, old days of Calitzdorp;
• A “Tickled Pink” theme will add a touch of excitement to the ever-popular and fabulous Port Dance. Hosted by the Calitzdorp High School, this promises to be an evening of excellent entertainment, good food, Port, wine, music and dancing until late into the night. Tickets sell out fast so be sure to book as soon as Computicket bookings open;
• A lazy, slowdown late afternoon Rustic Cellar Soirée with guitar classics, Port and wine sun-downers at Axe Hill Cellar;
• A Mediterranean or Klein Karoo themed menu on offer at participating restaurants;
• A fun-filled informal Wine Blending workshop – learn how to blend wine and then take a bottle of Calitzdorp wine home with you!
• Chef Marc Lorenz showcases delectable Port cocktails which will be served at Karoo Life throughout the festival.
And not forgetting the other festival favourites which include:
• Tasting at the Station Barn: Ports and Port cultivar wines (Calitzdorp, participating Cape Port Producer’s Association (CAPPA) and Klein Karoo Wine Route (KKWR) members), or visit the various cellars;
• “Unravelling the mysteries of Port” to be presented by Carel Nel, Boets Nel and Fanie Geyser at Boplaas Cellar in conjunction with a guest geologist who will unravel the terroir of the region;
• The popular “Chocolate and Port / Wine Decadence” will be hosted by Belgium trained Chocolatier Marita Lamprecht and Cape Wine Academy Master Junel Vermeulen. Sample local Ports and Port wine cultivars with the most decadent Belgium style chocolates specially handcrafted to suit the Ports and wines.
• Youth and Local Artists Expo to be held in the DR Church Hall;
• Arts Meander of the wealth of artists in various media;
• Biodiversity Expo, Boulles and Jukskei Competitions, Cultural/Historical Meander, Organ recital daily in the magnificent stone Dutch Reformed Church, Children’s entertainment at the Calitzdorp Station and the main cellars,
• Tractor rides to the various cellars;
• Quality upmarket food and lifestyle stalls, coffee shops and restaurants with menus to suit everyone’s taste and so much more;
• The indulgent and lazy end to the festival with the Mediterranean style Long Table Brunch on Sunday 20 May 2012 under the trellised vines at the Station Ticket office;
The annual domino competition winners will once again be awarded at the Festival but due to the earlier festival date, the vine pruning competition will be held in June when the vines are at their best for their annual trim.
For more details on the festival, as well as tourism and accommodation information visit www.portwinefestival.co.za, which is updated regularly. Programme event details will be added to the website from mid-March 2012.
TICKETS: Pre-book through Computicket (from mid-March 2012) or book during the festival at the Calitzdorp Computicket Box Office which will be conveniently located at the Calitzdorp Station festival grounds. Check the Computicket website from mid-March 2012 for early bird entrance ticket specials.
ACCOMMODATION: Contact Calitzdorp Tourism on 044 2133 775 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.calitzdorp.org.za
A unique jam-packed festival in the heart of the Klein Karoo – a festival of many happy returns! Diarise the date of 18 to 20 May 2012 and join us in the gem of the Klein Karoo – Calitzdorp!