The Klein Karoo is the place to be this winter for the annual Absa Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festival, which takes place over the weekend of 15 to 17 June. Regarded as South Africa’s Port Capital, visitors from across the country make their way to the sleepy town which comes alive during this social calendar highlight.
Hosted by renowned Port producers, Axe Hill, Boplaas, Calitzdorp Cellar, De Krans, Du’SwaRoo, Peter Bayly, TTT and Withoek in partnership with naming right sponsor Absa, festival goers will be assured of nonstop activities and entertainment throughout the weekend.
New and not-to-be-missed events include:
- Be the first to sip, sample and savour barrel samples of the unique Calitzdorp Blend. Made from Portuguese cultivars, the wine will be available for tasting at the participating cellars in Calitzdorp;
- Experience a unique cooking demonstration using Tinta Barocca, Touriga Nacional and other Port wines from the area.
- An evening in the historical Dutch Reformed Church with acclaimed soprano Zanne Stapelberg and guitarist James Grace. For the first time in five years Zanne Stapelberg and guitar virtuoso James Grace team up for the critically acclaimed and riveting “Canciones en Española’s” (Songs in Spanish). Popular and exotic classical music is combined in contemporary Spanish songs to form a richly textured tapestry of sound;
- Renowned musicians Valiant Swart and Rudi die Wynmaker will perform at the local school where all funds generated will be donated to the school Project Fund;
- Master the art of mixing, blending and tasting Port cocktails;
Festival favourites to look forward to include:
- Tastings at the Station Barn: Ports and Port cultivar wines (Calitzdorp, participating Cape Port Producer’s Association (CAPPA) and Klein Karoo Wine Route (KKWR) members), or visit the various cellars;
- “Unravelling the mysteries of Port” presented by Carel Nel, Boets Nel and Fanie Geyser at Boplaas Cellar in conjunction with a guest geologist who will unravel the terroir of the region;
- The popular “Chocolate and Port / Wine Decadence” will be hosted by Belgium trained Chocolatier Marita Lamprecht and Cape Wine Academy Master Junel Vermeulen. Sample local Ports and Port wine cultivars with the most decadent Belgium style chocolates specially handcrafted to suit the Ports and wines.
- Youth and Local Artists Expo to be held in the DR Church Hall;
- Arts Meander of the wealth of artists in various media;
- · Biodiversity Expo, Boules and Jukskei Competitions, Cultural/Historical Meander, Organ recital daily in the magnificent stone Dutch Reformed Church, Children’s entertainment at the Calitzdorp Station and the main cellars,
- · Tractor rides to the various cellars;
- · Quality upmarket food and lifestyle stalls, coffee shops and restaurants with menus to suit everyone’s taste and so much more;
- The indulgent Mediterranean style Long Table Brunch on Sunday 16 June at Calitzdorp Wine Cellar overlooking the spectacular Gamka West Valley of vines and olives
Pre-book your tickets through Computicket or book during the festival at the Calitzdorp Computicket Box Office which will be conveniently situated at the Calitzdorp Station festival grounds. Early bird ticket specials will be available via Computicket from April.
For more information on this fun filled family festival visit www.portwinefestival.co.za.