There are only three months left for artists to enter South Africa’s first National Portrait Award, sponsored by Sanlam Private Investments (SPI).
The closing date for entries is 19 August 2013.
The competition is open to artists of 21 years and older who work in any media, with the exception of lens-based media. Unlike many portrait competitions around the world that restrict entries to two dimensional tradition media, SPI’s competition is open to three dimensional works as well.
“The competition should attract a diversity of approaches to the subject of the portrait and I look forward to artists that are prepared to interrogate the concept and push beyond the normal and accepted,” says Stefan Hundt head of the SPI Art Advisory service and co-ordinator of the judging panel for the competition.
The judges for the competition are:
– Judith Mason, celebrated South African artist who has proved herself in a diversity of media and continues to contribute inspired images into the current art world.
– Hayden Proud, curator for Historical Painting and Sculptures at the Iziko South African National Gallery, Cape Town. Proud an accomplished portrait painter in his own right brings and experienced artist’s and curator’s eye to the panel.
– Vulindlela Nyoni a lecturer in printmaking at the Department of Visual Arts at the University of Stellenbosch brings a youthful and cutting edge perspective on image making and printmaking to the adjudication process.
“We are particularly pleased with the make-up of the panel of judges, as they are independent, experienced artists in their own right and together they bring a more than 150 years of knowledge of the mediums and history, to this process” says Monica Ross curator at the Rust-en-Vrede Gallery in Durbanville host of the SPI National Portrait Award for this year.
The winning portrait will be awarded a R 100 000 prize and a selection of about 40 works will be touring the country. Exhibitions are planned in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Knysna, George and Bloemfontein.
Salient Dates and Information:
– Final submission date for entries 19 August 2013.
– Announcement of the winning portrait 27 August 2013 at the Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, Durbanville.
About Sanlam Private Investments
Sanlam Private Investments (SPI) is a private client wealth management business which engages on an individual basis with high net worth individuals and their families to design, deliver and personally manage bespoke investment solutions for both South African and international clients.
SPI provides a comprehensive and holistic suite of integrated wealth management services, including multi-asset class investment advice, stockbroking and portfolio management, fiduciary and tax services, a range of non-transactional banking services, and South Africa’s first specialist art advisory service.
Established in 1999 and headquartered in Cape Town, the SPI team comprises 400 people across 23 international offices, managing R120bn in assets under management and administration for 30,000 clients.
Tel: 021 469 1572 / 072 142 5159
Twitter handle: @atmospherecomms
On behalf of:
Head: Art Advisory Service
Sanlam Private Investments
Tel: 021 947 3359 / 083 457 2699