Garden Route Ladies Circle 20, George’s newest service club, was chartered on 24 March 2012. Please find herewith a brief description of who we are, were we come from, our activities for the past year and our future endeavors.
Our motto is: “Friendship & Service” and our Aims and Objectives are: (1) Friendship and Social Service for knowledge and progress, (2) To be of service to the community, (3) To be non-political and non-sectarian, (4) To promote and extend friendship to Circlers locally, nationally and internationally, (5) To provide relaxation and interests by ways of talks and discussion on various subjects, (6) To enjoy to the full all Ladies Circle functions throughout the year and (7) To assist Round Table where possible. GRLC 20 currently have 5 active members, 1 groupie and 2 social members. We have our business meeting on the 4th Wednesday of every month.
Ladies Circle is a vibrant international service organization for young dynamic women under the age of 45. Ladies Circle South African was chartered 21 years ago and has a sound tradition of friendship and service to the community. LCSA have 9 active circles in South African with 52 active members. LCSA raised R780,000 the past financial year (2012/3) with their various projects for those less fortunate than ourselves within our own communities.
Service: Projects (April 2012 – March 2013)
- Milk donations to Heavenly Haven and Phambile Refuge for Battered Women and Children (Sponsored by Fair Cape Dairy) – 2012
- Brandon Young School Fees (Sponsored by South Cape College) – 2012
- Denim Drive (Support to PE Pearls Ladies Circle 19 for their SOS Children’s Village Project) – 14 July 2012
- Reach 4 Recovery Quiz and Music Trivia Night. We raised R10,457.95 and 140 handmade post-operation bags and pillows (with Round Table George 30 Ladies) – 3 August 2012
- Mandela Day Snack Pack with Media 24 (we teamed up with personnel from Die Burger, Eden Express and Eden FM to pack a 100 snack packs for young children that have been abused) – 18 July 2012
- Pensioners Puff Puff Project – A power van trip up the Outeniqua mountains with 40 pensioners (George Service Club Project) – 15 September 2012
- Collect non-Perishable foods for the Kos-Vir-Kinders Project (with the George Vryburgers) – 30 June and 6 October 2012
- Nappy Run 3km and 5km – to collect funds and diapers for Carpe Diem School’s children in wheelchairs (with SAPS) – 24 October 2012
- Sandwiches, juice and cupcakes to RLR Old-Age Home Christmas Carols’-by-Candlelight (with Rotary and Round Table George 30) – 2 December 2012
- Santa Flight Project – Almost 100 children was given the opportunity to enjoy a 20 minutes flight and they all received a lovely Christmas gift. (George Service Club Project) – 8 December 2012
- Christmas lunch for 10 children and 2 adults from Heavenly Haven (Sponsored by Geronimo Spur) – 21 December 2012
- Collect non-Perishable foods, clothing, blankets, toiletries etc donation to Phambile Refuge for Battered Women and Children. Estimated monetary value of +/- R15,000 – 21 December 2012
Friendship: This past year we travelled and attended various other Circle / fellow Service Club projects or meetings:
- Swellendam Ladies Circle 22 & Round Table Swellendam Chicken Braai Project – 19 May 2012
- M.O.T.H Outeniqua Shell hole Induction Dinner – 14 June 2012
- Swellendam Ladies Circle 22 Potjie Kos Competition – 16 June 2012
- George Rotary Induction Dinner – 1 July 2012
- Eden Lions Induction Dinner – 7 July 2012
- Garden Route Ladies Circle 20, PE Pearls Ladies Circle 19 and Shiraz Ladies Circle 8 social – 14 July 2012
- PE Pearls Ladies Circle 19 Melodrama – 4 August 2012
- George Service Clubs Annual Pledge Day – 25 August 2012
- Swellendam Ladies Circle 22 Official Charter and Induction Dinner – 9 / 10 November 2012
- Garden Route Ladies Circle 20 Christmas Braai – 5 December 2012
- Round Table George 30 Induction Dinner – 2 February 2013
- PE Pearls Ladies Circle 19 Country and Western Dance – 2 February 2013
- Visit from Ladies Circle Sweden’s Caroline Wallenberg in Cape Town – 22 March 2013
We are working on several projects at the moment, i.e. 29 June – Winter Stock Pile Project – we want all your old clothes / blankets / non-perishable foods etc to donate to ACVV / 27 July – Poker Evening / 16 August – Reach 4 Recovery Quiz & Music Trivia Night / 14 September – Pensioners Puff Puff / 29 September – Bowls Day / 26 October – Blood 4 Bail Project / 7 December – Santa Flight Project.
We had our Induction Dinner on 18 May 2013. Our newly elected committee members are: Elizabeth (Bets) Theron (Chairlady), Elainne Bouwer (Vice Chairlady & IRO), Rochelle Barnard (Treasurer), Michélle Jacobsz (Secretary & PRO) and Elsje Liebenberg (Social Officer). We also had the following special awards: Renelle Williams – Circler of the year 2012, Elizabeth Theron – Traveler of the year 2012 and Phambile Refuge for Battered Women and Children – Project of the year 2012.