SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR DEALING WITH EACH OF YOUR MULTIPLE BOSSES:
- Praise your bosses when they merit praise. Many employees forget that the boss is a person, too, and one who needs psychological strokes just like everyone else.
- Assemble your evidence. If you have a point to make, come in armed with supporting artifacts.
- Don’t dump on your boss. Your boss is not a shoulder to cry on for what went wrong at home or on the project.
- Pace your communications. Don’t overwhelm your boss with more than he or she can comfortably ingest. Your project may be only one of many.
- Take personal responsibility for any department activities or projects in which you’re participating.
- Don’t drone on. Present your situation or problem as succinctly as you can, while maintaining an effective level of interpersonal communication.