As part of this year’s exciting season of the Vodacom Cup, SWD takes on the DHL Western Province on their home ground in Outeniqua Park, George this coming Friday, 25th April at 19:00.
We encourage you to attend and show your “SuperGees” and support of your local team.
This year, the Vodacom Cup will again be celebrating the theme of “Tjovitjo!” meaning ‘it’s good ‘– which is an apt description for a tournament whose mandate is to unearth the future stars of South African rugby and in doing so, provide opportunity where there previously was none.
For more info visit www.vodacom.co.za/rugby and follow the conversion at #SuperGees
Vodacom Cup 2014 – Key Facts
- A total of 63 games are played in the Vodacom Cup
- The 2014 Vodacom Cup will be played between 8 March and 17 May 2014 and will be the 17th edition of this annual domestic cup competition.
- The Vodacom Cup is played between fifteen South African provincial rugby union teams and one invitation team from Kenya the Tuskers Simba XV.
- There will be sixteen teams participating in the 2014 Vodacom Cup competition.
- These teams will be geographically divided into two sections, with eight teams in both sections. Teams will play all the teams in their section once over the course of the season, either at home or away.
- Teams will receive four log points for a win and two points for a draw. Bonus log points will be awarded to teams that score four or more tries in a game, as well as to teams that lose a match by seven points or less. Teams will be ranked by log points, then points difference (points scored less points conceded).
- The top four teams in each section will qualify for the title play-offs. In the quarter finals, the teams that finish first in each section will have home advantage against the teams that finish fourth in that section and the teams that finish second in each section will have home advantage against the teams that finish third in that section. The winners of these quarter finals will then play each other in the semi-finals, with the higher placed team having home advantage. The two semi-final winners will then meet in the final.
- The Northern Section teams include: Blue Bulls, Falcons, Golden Lions, Griffons, Griquas. Leopards XV, Limpopo Blue Bulls, and Pumas.
- The Southern Section teams include: Boland Cavaliers, Border Bull Dogs, Eastern Province Kings, Free State XV, Sharks XV, Simba XV, SWD Eagles and Western Province