George Municipality is widely regarded as one of the top performing municipalities in South Africa andwas honoured last week to receive no less than eight awards from the management journal Professional Management Review Africa (PMR.africa). The awards were handed over at the Business Leaders function held on Friday 25th July at the Hyatt Regency Golf Resort and Spa, George.
Six of the awards were Diamond Arrow Awards, signifying ‘outstanding rating’ and two awards were Gold Arrow Awards, signifying “excellent rating ”.
PMR.africa has been in business for 24 years and their vision is to enhance competitiveness for companies and institutions and at the same time to promote excellence, set benchmarks and to acknowledge the work of personnel. They conducted interviews in the Southern Cape region with CEO’s, MD’s, business owners, company directors and managers and senior government officials in order to obtain the opinions of key decision makers and professionals.
The interviews which were conducted in March and April of 2014, sought to obtain the ranked perceptionsof the performance of the institution across a range of attributes, including institutions that have done the most to enhance economic growth and development of the region over the past 12 months; levels of managerial expertise; implementation of corporate governance; brand awareness and levels of innovation.
The George Municipality received the following awards:
Diamond Arrow Awards (outstanding rating) for the Municipality doing the most in:
- Being a pro-active Mayors in the Southern Cape Region, Alderman Charles Standers
- Joint rated for doing the most to Attract Foreign Investment to the Southern Cape Region;
- Doing the most to attract local investment to the Southern Cape Region;
- Doing the most to attract tourism to the Southern Cape Region;
- Doing the most to Fight Crime in the Southern Cape Region;
- Doing the most to Clean the Environment in the Southern Cape Region
Golden Arrow Awards (excellent rating) for the Municipality doing the most in:
- Doing the most for Social Upliftment in the Southern Cape Region;
- Doing the most for Job Creation in the Southern Cape Region.
Trevor Botha, Municipal Manager for George welcomed the PMR awards. “George Municipality prides itself on service delivery and these awards indicate to us that our citizens are aware of our efforts. They only encourage us to attain higher levels and to remain one of the top performing municipality’s in the Western Cape.”