De Krans Wine Cellar in Calitzdorp will be hosting the inaugural Spring Blossom Day on Saturday, 30 August with something in store for young and old. This time of year the fruit trees (apricots, peaches and plums) at De Krans and in Calitzdorp are in full bloom, which is an amazing sight to see. As is the case every year Spring is the start of a new year for the fruit and wine industry in Calitzdorp, and also the perfect opportunity to raise a glass to its success.
This year visitors will have the opportunity to make the most of this spectacular experience, with wonderful activities (and surprises) in store for those popping into De Krans on the 30th of August 2014.
- Spend the day walking amongst the trees at De Krans, taking in the beauty of the surrounding blossoms – the perfect opportunity to capture these moments on film, and also wine prizes up for grabs for the best three photographs taken on the day.
- Plant your own Chenin Blanc vines, which can be ‘adopted’ for R10 a vine. All these funds received will be donated to The Heuwel Playschool in Calitzdorp, which will be used towards building more classrooms. You can plant as many vines as you want to, each vine that you plant will be named after yourself. In 2015 you’ll get the chance to prune your ‘adopted’ vines at the same festival, and in 2016 you’ll be one of the first to sample the Spring Blossom Day Wine produced by all the ‘adopted’ wines. (Advance booking for this vine planting experience is essential.)
- Browse at leisure the market at De Krans where the focus will be on Spring inspired goods. These include indigenous plants and trees, herbs, homemade products and freshly baked bread.
- Ensuring you don’t go hungry a delicious braaivleis lunch will be prepared by The Vygie Restaurant for R65 per person on the day. Prior booking is essential to avoid disappointment. Profits generated by this restaurant will be donated to the Vygieshof Home for the Elderly, situated in Calitzdorp.
- De Krans’ full range of wines, which include the superb 2014 white wines (Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc and Rosé Tinta Barocca) will be available for tasting throughout the day.
- And the cherry on the cake is a tasting of delicious port cocktails prepared by none other than winemaker Louis van der Riet.
The perfect family outing to Calitzdorp, a mere 30-minute drive from Oudtshoorn. For more information contact Bessie Swanepoel on 044 213 3314 or email email@example.com.