Eden District Municipality (EDM) co-ordinated a four day NQF 5, Skills Development Facilitator training session, aimed at broadening the knowledge and understanding of Workplace Skills Plans (WSP). The session kicked off on 6 October 2014, at Kwelanga Lodge, Pacaltsdorp, George. 16 Government employees, including Councillors, officials, SAMWU-and IMATU Union members, were given the opportunity to partakin skills development to improve their understanding of developing an effective WSP.
Institutional Transformation and Development, one of the focus areas of National Government, also forms part of the Key Performance Areas of EDM. Employees from three municipalities in the Eden district had an opportunity to reap the fruits of the intensive 4 day course, when they were assessed at the end of each of the 6 modules. Modules included the following:
– Promote a learning culture in an organisation;
– Provide information and advice regarding skills development and related issues;
– Develop an organisational training and development plan;
– Conduct an analysis to determine outcomes of learning for skills development and other purposes;
– Coordinate planned skills development interventions in an organisation; and
– Conduct skills development administration in an organisation.
Cllr Tertuis Simmers, EDM Portfolio Chairperson, Corporate Services said that, “I gained a lot of insight and respect for the officials responsible for drawing up WSP’s and learnt that the accuracy of the information supplied, is directly linked to the quality of the plan.” Ms Nokuthula Makeleni, Cape Nature Manager, mentioned that, “This training session taught us how to establish a culture of learning in the organisation.” Ms Cathrone Muller, SAMWU, George Municipality, thanked Eden for co-ordinating the event and was eager in mentioning that the session was available to lower-level officials as well.