‘Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world.
It is believed that the hamburger first made its appearance in 1896, which was referred to as a ‘hamburger sandwich’. Well, this ‘sandwich’ is still around and today is regarded as a global phenomenon. Hartenberg Wine Estate, set in the heart of the Stellenbosch Winelands, is inviting budding cooks, foodies and anyone who just loves whipping up magical creations in the kitchen to enter the inaugural Alchemy Best Home Cooked Burger Competition 2015.
It’s as easy as 1,2,3!
- Simply submit your favourite hamburger recipe;
- Together with a picture of your perfect home cooked burger;
- And your choice of Alchemy wine that pairs best with your burger.
(see further guidelines in the terms and conditions below)
Together with your entry include a short motivation as to why this wine choice is the perfect match for your recipe. Submit via email to email@example.com. This is the ideal opportunity to be creative as the best pictures and recipes will be shared on Hartenberg’s social media platforms. If your burger has an interesting story to accompany it, please include it. Perhaps it’s a recipe passed down from your grandmother or a secret ingredient you found on a trip to the East, etc.
The deadline for entries is 28 August, with the judging to take place on 31 August. Six finalists will be selected to go through to a cook off at Hartenberg on Heritage Day, 24 September 2015.
The winner will walk away, not only as the champion home cooked burger wiz, but also with 36 bottles of Alchemy wines. The winning hamburger will be featured on Hartenberg’s menu for the year*. And there’s more! The winner gets to invite nine of their close friends to enjoy a delicious burger lunch at Hartenberg.
The runner-up will receive 24 bottles of Alchemy wines plus invite five friends to a burger lunch at Hartenberg.
If you need inspiration, the lip smacking, juicy Grass-fed Waygu Beef Burger, one of Hartenberg’s signature dishes, is just what you need. Served with all the traditional trimmings this gourmet burger makes its comeback from 1 August, and is best enjoyed with the Alchemy SMG.
Designed for everyday enjoyment the Alchemy range is vibrant and youthful – ideal for any occasion. The range consists of the Alchemy Chenin Blanc Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, Alchemy Syrah Mourvedre Grenache (SMG), Alchemy Merlot Malbec Cabernet Franc and the Alchemy Syrah Cabernet Sauvignon. The versatility of this range allows the winemaking team to experiment with blends as they select only the best and rarest pockets of vineyards with which to work their magic. This value-for-money range is available from most Tops! @ Spar, Makro and Ultra Liquor outlets nationwide.
Direct any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow us on Twitter @AlchemyWinesSA, using #makingmagic when spreading the news about this latest offering to emerge from Hartenberg.
Terms & Conditions
- Only email entries will be accepted;
- The judges’ decision is final;
- No correspondence will be entered into with the judges;
- Should you reside outside the Western Cape, Hartenberg Wine Estate will undertake to fund one return air ticket to the cook off on 24 September, as well as airport transfers and overnight accommodation;
- Recipes and photographs entered become the property of Hartenberg Wine Estate to use for social media and other brand awareness;
- Food costs per burger should not exceed R50;
- *The winning recipe may be adapted for commercial application in the Hartenberg restaurant kitchen;
- Judging criteria will be available on the Hartenberg website.
Ready, steady, cook!