SHOW YOUR SUPPORT IN AID OF BREAST CANCER BY JOINING THE PINK GLOVE RUN
Harley-Davidson® Africa and its 11 authorised dealer partners is continuing raising awareness and funds in aid of Breast Cancer by encouraging South Africans to join the 2015 Fearless cause with a Pink Glove Run mass motorcycle ride taking place end of October – set to be one of the largest mass ride parades this year.
Similar to the 2014 Snors for a Cause parades (when Harley-Davidson® raised R100,000 in a single day in support of testicular and prostate cancer), the Pink Glove Run will call on anyone and everyone who rides a motorcycle to join Harley® to show their support.
This follows the Fearless Music Tour with Harley-Davidson® ambassadors Jack Parow and Loki Rothman, which took place last month in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg.
South African legends can support Fearless by purchasing one-of-a-kind pink buffs on sale at participating Harley-Davidson® dealerships. All funds raised during the two months will be donated to the Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA).
“We want all South Africans to unite and take action in order for us to kick cancer in the ass,” says Juan Mouton, Marketing Manager of Harley-Davidson® Africa.
“Our vision is to break down the barrier of ‘it won’t happen to me’ or ‘I’m too young’, which is exactly why we’re joining hands with CANSA to educate women on the risks, the signs and more importantly the way they can protect themselves and their loves ones. Our goal is to at least double the R100,000 we raised in aid of cancer last year and so far we’re on track to achieve our goal thanks to the incredible support we’ve received.”
CANSA’s Head of Health, Professor Michael Herbst, adds: “The Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA) applauds the creative initiative that Harley-Davidson® has taken this year with its Fearless campaign. It aligns perfectly with our strategy of providing reliable health information and education in the fight against cancer.”
According to Herbst, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in South Africa, and the lifetime risk for breast cancer in SA women is that of 1 in every 35.
Other facts about breast cancer (information provided by CANSA):
- Many women under the age of 40 are diagnosed with breast cancer, so it affects all ages.
- 1 in 1 249 men have a lifetime risk of breast cancer.
- Alcohol use increases the risk of breast cancer.
- All women are at risk, but family history increases the risk.
- Women who never had children, or only had them after 30, have increased risk of breast cancer.
Early warning signs of breast cancer (information provided by CANSA):
Early warning signs include a puckering of the skin of the breast, a lump in the breast or armpit, a change in the skin around the nipple or nipple discharge, dimpling of the nipple or nipple retraction, an unusual increase in the size of one of the breasts, one of the breasts unusually lower than the other (nipples at different levels), an enlargement of the glands or an unusual swelling in the armpit.
How to do a Breast Self-Examination in three easy steps (information provided by CANSA):
- In the mirror: In front of the mirror, check for any changes in the normal look and feel of your breasts, such as dimpling, size differences or nipple discharge. Inspect four ways – arms at sides, arms overhead, firmly pressing hands on hips and bending forward.
- Lying down: Lie on your back with a pillow under your right shoulder and you right hand under your head. With the three middle fingers of your left hand, make small circular motions, follow an up and down pattern of the entire breast area, under the arms and up to the shoulder bone, pressing firmly. Repeat using right hand on left breast.
- While bathing: With your right arm raised, check your right breast with a soapy left hand and fingers flat using the method describe under “Lying down” above. Repeat on the other side. Do a self breast examination every month 7 to 10 days after your period. Repeat monthly within same time interval.
The Pink Glove Run will be taking place at 11 Harley-Davidson® dealerships across the country on Saturday, 31 October 2015. Start time for all the parades will be at 09h00. All riders on two or three wheels and their families are invited to participate in the event to show support for breast cancer awareness. Food, drinks and entertainment will be available at all dealerships after each parade.
Popular South African celebrities Roxy Louw, Danine Naidoo and Vanessa Haywood, amongst others, are working closely with Harley-Davidson® Africa to share their stories and encourage all South Africans to play a part in supporting the cause.
|Harley-Davidson Durban KZN||Coastlands Gatemax, 329 Umhlanga Rocks Drive, Umhlanga||www.harley-durban.co.za|
|Harley-Davidson Cape Town||9 Somerset Rd, Green Point 8005||www.harley-davidson-capetown.com|
|Harley-Davidson Clearwater||Van Vuuren and Rooibok Streets, Constantia Kloof, Roodepoort 1709||www.harley-clearwater.co.za|
|Harley-Davidson Johannesburg||167 Rivonia Road, Morningside, Johannesburg||www.hdavidson.co.za|
|Harley-Davidson Tyger Valley||Willowbridge Lifestyle Centre, 39 Carl Cronje Drive, Tyger Valley 7530||www.harley-davidson-tygervalley.co.za|
|Gold Rand Harley-Davidson||38 North Rand Road, Boksburg 1464, South Africa||www.goldrandharley-davidson.com|
|Harley-Davidson Big Five||Corner Madiba & Government Boulevard, Riverside Ext 4 Nelspruit 1201||www.bigfiveharley-davidson.co.za|
|Harley-Davidson Pretoria||Ridge on Square, Cnr Lynnwood & Albeth Streets, Die Wilgers, Pretoria, 0184||www.harley-pretoria.com|
|Harley-Davidson Zambezi||37 Lavender Road West, Annlin, Pretoria 0081||www.harley-davidsonzambezi.co.za|
|Harley-Davidson Bloemfontein||Ground Floor Star House Building, C/O Markgraaff & Henry Streets, Bloemfontein 9301||www.harley-davidsonbloemfontein.co.za|
|H-D Knysna c/o House of Classic and Sports Cars CC||70 Main Road|
For more information about the Pink Glove Run in your community, visit:
To shout loudly:
Twitter @hd_fearless and @harleyafrica
Tweet with hashtags #HDFearless, #PinkGloveRun, #HarleyDavidson.
No excuses, no fear, no limits. Be your Fearless self.