The programme with the dates and places outlining exactly what is happening is below. You can sign up and for R200, can join in the fun and walk with Sir Ian on any of the days at any of the locations countrywide (see the map below – CT, Stellenbosch, PE, Durban, Jhb, Soweto and Pretoria).
It is such a wonderful charity initiative and 100% of the proceeds go to the charities he supports in SA – not a cent raised will leave the country. This will also be the last walk he will be doing, and marks the celebration of his 60th Birthday and the 30th anniversary of his first ever walk from John O’Groats to Lands End in Great Britain in 1985.
For further info, you can visit www.beefywalkingtherainbownation.com
For ticket sign ups they can go to https://www.webtickets.co.za/events/featured/join-beefy-walking-the-rainbow-nation/1458570959 (the distance each day is available on the info icon and the walks start each day at 7.15 am. The walks will all take about 2.5 – 3 hours as Sir Ian walks at a constant 7.2km/h) or visit the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/beefywalkstherainbownation/?fref=ts
The list of charities are:
- Nazareth House in CT
- Waitrose Foundation – marking its 10th anniversary this year, helps improve the lives of the workers and communities that supply Waitrose’s products from South Africa
- Kliptown Youth Project
- Chipembere Rhino Foundation (CRF)
- 10 Dec – Day 1 – From The Table Bay Hotel to Llandudno beach. This will be a spectacular finish as it is on the beach and is stunning, Sir Ian walks through Camps Bay with the most amazing view of Table mountain. We are hoping for John Barnes to join in along with the British High Commissioner in SA on this day.
- 11 Dec – Day 2 – From Hout Bay to Tokai with Nazareth House. The walk goes over the back of the Mountain finishing at the Food Lovers Market in Tokai.
- 12 Dec – Day 3 – From Kayamundi Primary School to Flagstone Winery. Starting at the primary school on top of a hill looking over Stellenbosch. The kids will be dancing and singing for the walkers who then walk to the winery where there will be a wine tasting and a few cheetahs roaming around …
- 13 Dec – Day 4 – Port Elizabeth – down the coast, finishing at the Boardwalk hotel – where the Nelson Mandela Film Festival will be finishing the same day. This day is Chipembere’s so the tracking dogs will be with the walkers, a fun day!
- 14 Dec – Day 5 – Durban – from the Springfield Food Lovers Market to the Umhlanga Pier.
- 15 Dec – Day 6 – Soweto – the walk starts at Kliptown Youth Project, one of the charities, through the historic pasts of Soweto and finishing at Jabulani Mall, this will be an awesome day.
- 16 Dec – Day 7 Johannesburg – Makaya Ntini is joining the walkers on this day and the walk finishes at the Mazlow hotel – this is The Waitrose Foundation day.
- 17 Dec – Day 8 Pretoria – the final day in the capital, the walkers finish in Church Square.
After the walk finishes Sir Ian will be going to The Palace at Sun City for a Post Walk Party.
On the 19th he flies to the bush for 24 hours for a bush walk organised with vehicles to highlight