Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position of SWD Academy Head Coach. This is a fixed term contract position.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday, 24 February 2016.
Please submit your application to the Human Resources Department (email@example.com). Your application should be accompanied by your CV.
Preference will be given to EE Candidates for this position.
1. Job Particulars:
Job Title: SWD Academy Head Coach
Direct Reports: SWD Strength and Conditioning Trainer Travel Required: Yes
Reports to: Manager: Academies Job Grade: Contractor position not graded
2. Purpose of Job:
• To identify talented, primarily Black and Coloured U15 to U18 high school players within the Province, and on a part-time basis accelerate their physical, rugby and mental capabilities to improve their preparedness to enter the Provincial U19 to U21 Academy.
• To identify and recruit the best primarily Black and Coloured U18’s in the Province into the full-time U19 – U21 Academy, and to develop their physical, rugby, mental and education capabilities to ensure whole-person development, with the primary focus on increasing the number of Black and Coloured players playing professional rugby in South Africa, particularly at Super Rugby and Springbok level.
• To coach the U19 Currie Cup team with intake of U19 Academy players, and thereafter to coach the U21 Currie Cup team, with a primary focus on Black player development.
3. Key Results/ Accountabilities expected from job
• Develop Black and Coloured U19 – U21 players into senior professional players, particularly at Super Rugby and Springbok level
• Implement the SARU Academies strategy and rugby curriculum
• Establish and maintain a professional work ethic in the Academy
• Effectively administer the rugby player development programme in a structured and scientific manner
• Coach and select the U19 / U21 Currie Cup team in a manner that prioritises the primary long term objective of the Academy
• Ensure effective integration with the relevant Rugby staff, structures and programmes of the local Union
4. Experience & Expertise (Typical educational qualifications & experience)
• Relevant Tertiary Qualification
• SARU Level 3 Coaching Qualification OR equivalent
Experience (years and nature)
• 5 years relevant coaching experience at an appropriate level (1st team school coach, 1st team club coach, Provincial age group level, Provincial senior level)
• Excellent knowledge of junior rugby
• Proven experience in player talent identification, recruitment, development and high-performance coaching
• Systematic and scientific development of players across all attributes required to play professional rugby, during training and competition periods of the year
• Coaching skills and abilities to coach at Currie Cup U19 and / or U21 level, ideally with coaching experience at elite schoolboy and senior professional level to understand the requirements of players in, and the development pathway across, high school, age group and professional levels
5. Critical Competencies
• Motivational and player psychology skills
• Communication skills
• Leadership skills
• Planning and organising skills
• People management skills
• Self-development skills
• Strong work ethic
• Recruitment and talent identification skills
Human Resources Department