DOMINATES TOP 20 – Fancourt is pleased to announce that their Links course has once again been ranked 1st in the Golf Digest ranking of South African golf courses for 2016. No stranger to this prestigious accolade, the course was awarded this title in 2011, as well as 2014, and has once again clinched top spot.
Whilst competing against a number of other highly reputable golf courses to receive this recognition most notably is that the Estate’s other two golf courses have also been named in the 2016 rankings. Whilst the Outeniqua course has moved from 17th to 16th position, Montagu retains its 6th position. This brings all 3 courses into the Top 20.
The Golf Digest rankings are a long established and reputable award, offering recognition of a certain standard that golfers can depend on. The bi-annual evaluation of all countrywide 18-hole courses is based on course evaluations by volunteer panel members from across South Africa. Courses are scored on seven criteria: Shot Values; Playability; Resistance to Scoring; Aesthetics; Design Variety; and Memorability – with each course achieving a total score out of 100.
The Links is not only ranked the top course in South Africa, but is also the only course in Africa that has once again been certified as an Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary, a USA-based standard, as a result of its commitment to the protection of the environment and preservation of golf’s heritage. In keeping with its Scottish inspiration, players are quite in awe of this magnificent course, as designer Gary Player considered everything typical of its origins.
Lloyd Martindale, GM of Golf at Fancourt commented ‘It is wonderful to receive this accolade again. It serves as testimony to the commitment of the Fancourt team and our goal to maintain the absolute best standard in the country. The rankings not only reflect the well thought out designs of the three courses but also the team of professional and hardworking greenkeepers; we are extremely proud of them.’
Fancourt boasts several titles such as The Most Luxurious Boutique Hotel for their Manor House, as well as Tripadvisor’s 2016 Traveller’s Choice ranking of 13th in the Top 25 Luxury Hotels category in South Africa, meaning visitors can expect a very high standard on and off the course as well.
- Fancourt is a global landmark for business, leisure and golfing travel but its gradual expansion can be traced back to the establishment of the Manor House by its first custodian, Henry Fancourt White in the late 1880’s. The estate was transformed into a hotel and golfing destination in 1989.
- Today Fancourt is owned Dr and Mrs Plattner, with award-winning golf courses and unparalleled service offerings, against the backdrop of the ever-present Outeniqua mountain range.
- Fancourt has three 18-hole golf courses (Montagu, Outeniqua and The Links) situated on the resort and all ranked in the Top 20 in South Africa. The Links is currently No. 1 in South Africa (Golf Digest Rankings 2014/15) and was ranked 34th in the world in 2014 by Golf Digest USA.
The resort has two accommodation offerings:
- Fancourt Hotel – 5-star hotel with 115 rooms
- The Manor House – a 5-star boutique hotel with eighteen suites all offering personalized, butler-style service.
- Fancourt is a member of Leading Hotels of the World.
- Fancourt CSR projects include:
- George Child and family welfare society provides a centre of care for abused, neglected and abandoned children. It was in 2000 that Fancourt and Sabine Plattner African Charities stepped in to offer much-needed funds for the running of GCFW and today, it is one of the most successful non-profit organisations in the country.
- Fancourt is located in George, part of the captivating Garden Route region in the Western Cape of South Africa. It stretches for 400 km along large expanses of panoramic Indian Ocean beaches, with breathtakingly beautiful mountain ranges and natural forests. The Garden Route was voted the sixth best coastal drive in the world by Virtual Tourist. For non-golfers the region’s diverse offering include ocean sailing, horse polo, wine estates, mountain biking and hiking – the famous otter trail route, beautiful indigenous and protected forests, and breathtaking Indian ocean beaches with an abundance of sunshine. There are organic food markets, craft villages, big 5 safari experiences, ocean and forest adventure activities, world class hiking and mountain biking trails and the world’s highest bridge bungee jump. The Garden Route is the world’s best-kept natural secret and Fancourt is the perfect place to start your adventure.
Social Media handles include:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Fancourt.SA
- Twitter: @Fancourtsa
- Instagram: Fancourtsa