The Wolftrap Steakhouse Championships is again hunting down South Africa’s greatest steakhouse to find the national champion for 2016!
The first round has been completed. This was a public voting phase to identify South Africa’s favourite steakhouses, and the 20 that gathered the most votes have now made it through to the judging round.
See key details below and comprehensive media release attached.
The 2016 finalists in alphabetical order, and colour-coded according to location are:
- Cattle Baron, Mossel Bay – Southern Cape
- Cattle Baron, Tableview – Western Cape
- Havana Grill, Durban – KwaZulu Natal
- Hillside Tavern, Lynnwood, Pretoria – Gauteng
- HQ, Cape Town – Western Cape
- Jayz Grill, Pietermaritzburg – KwaZulu Natal
- Karoo Cattle and Land – Irene, Pretoria – Gauteng
- Little Havana, Umhlanga Rocks – KwaZulu Natal – 2015 Champion
- Longhorn Steakhouse, Bloemfontein – Free State
- Milhaus, Kyalami, Midrand, Johannesburg (North) – Gauteng
- Milhaus, Olympus, Pretoria – Gauteng
- Pioneer’s Butcher & Grill, Hazyview – Mpumalanga
- Texas Grill, George – Southern Cape
- The Butcher Restaurant, Camps Bay – Western Cape
- The Cricketer, East London – Eastern Cape
- The Godfather, Centurion, Pretoria – Gauteng
- The Grumpy Griller, George – Southern Cape
- The Hussar Grill, Rondebosch – Western Cape
- The Local Grill, Parktown North, Johannesburg (North) – Gauteng – 2013 and 2014 Champion
- Woodstock Grill & Tap, Woodstock – Western Cape
This judges’ round during May is a steak showdown during which a team of expert judges, led by Pete Goffe-Wood, well-known MasterChef judge, visit the Top 20 to test the field. The steakhouses don’t know when the judges will arrive and each will be assessed on a score-sheet that’s designed to separate the good from the great – looking at the total experience but focussing on the quality of the steak.
The big reveal will take place at the Awards Ceremony on 21 June at the current Steakhouse Champion, Little Havana in Umhlanga Rocks, where The Wolftrap Steakhouse Champion for 2016 will be announced.
Steak is a South African passion and the steakhouse is our favourite national restaurant. The Wolftrap Steakhouse Championships is now in its fourth year. Previous winners are: The Local Grill, Parktown North (2013 and 2014); and Little Havana, Umhlanga Rocks (2015).