PARIS – Dustin Johnson overtook Jordan Spieth to become the new world number two on Monday, after his thrilling victory in the WGC Bridgestone Invitational. Branden Grace and Louis Oosthuizen are 10’th and 14’th respectively.
The US Open champion reeled in Australian world number one Jason Day at Firestone to make it back-to-back titles on Sunday.
The big-hitting American is now fast closing in on Day at the top of the rankings ahead of the British Open at Royal Troon.
Other changes in the rankings saw Bubba Watson claim fifth spot from Henrik Stenson, who took the week off, and Branden Grace break into the top 10 for the first time at the expense of Justin Rose.
Further down the rankings, Thailand’s Thongchai Jaidee moved up 20 places to 37th after holding off Rory McIlroy to win the French Open.
World top 20 on July 4:
1. Jason Day (AUS) 13.48 pts
2. Dustin Johnson (USA) 11.15 (+1)
3. Jordan Spieth (USA) 11.15 (-1)
4. Rory McIlroy (NIR) 9.14
5. Bubba Watson (USA) 7.30 (+1)
6. Henrik Stenson (SWE) 7.16 (-1)
7. Rickie Fowler (USA) 6.65
8. Adam Scott (AUS) 6.54
9. Danny Willett (ENG) 6.25
10. Branden Grace (RSA) 5.41 (+2)
11. Justin Rose (ENG) 5.37 (-1)
12. Sergio Garcia (ESP) 5.30 (-1)
13. Patrick Reed (USA) 4.92
14. Louis Oosthuizen (RSA) 4.61