There are some interesting movies depicting robot-like creatures that go about their daily lives without any comprehension or thought of why they are behaving the way that they are.
They automatically react to the stimulus around them and are not programmed to make their own, and perhaps better, choices. In much the same way, how many of us live our lives in reaction-mode, unaware of what we are feeling and why we are negatively influencing our relationships, work environment, productiveness and happiness.
“Emotional intelligence is our capacity to be aware of, control, and express our emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically. Mastering emotional intelligence skills puts us back in the driving seat – the control panel, if you will – of our own lives, and it is essential if we are to enjoy happier, more fulfilled lives!” says Cindy Glass, Director and Co-founder of Step Up Education Centres.
Cindy highlights how having strong Emotional intelligence skills could benefit your daily life:
- You will benefit from stronger, more uplifting personal relationships
- Assist you in becoming a better leader
- They can help you cope more effectively with conflict
- Reduce stress and anxiety and significantly increase self-respect and self-value
- Overcome the inevitable challenges of life
“Emotional Intelligence skills include self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills. If we consider that every choice we will ever make is based on how we feel about ourselves as a person, and every choice that we make will have a non-negotiable consequence, it stands to reason that it is essential that we master the essential skills of emotional intelligence” Cindy adds.
Here are some of Cindy’s essential tips to boost your emotional intelligence skills:
- Own yourself! Recognise your strengths and weaknesses. Acknowledge and embrace your (inevitable) mistakes as learning opportunities!
- Stop blaming others for the choices that you have made! All choices have consequences. It is not someone else’s fault that you may have made a less-than-desirable choice. Again, own the mistakes and find positive ways to learn from them.
- Surround yourself with people who build you up, as you aim to build others!
- Learn to value yourself. Know that whatever you give to others, you give to yourself. If you choose to honour and respect who you are, you will honour and respect the people around you.
- Know that life is full of challenges, and you will come across people who behave in negative self-destructive ways. It is how you choose to react to these obstacles that will define who YOU are!
- Enrol in Step Up Education Centre’s life-changing courses in Emotional Intelligence.
“Fortunately, we are not robots without choices. We can enjoy happier, more fulfilling lives. Mastering the emotional intelligence skills that will assist us in making better choices is key to achieving our personal and career successes. The best time to start? TODAY!” Cindy concludes.