So here’s something special for your family this winter – take advantage of the SADC resident Specials of 40% off listed rates – and spend quality time on a South African winter safari.
The best dry season months for wildlife viewing are June, July and August, and a safari is a great way to expose your children to nature and wildlife, and where better than at Thanda Safari.
Thanda Safari in KZN is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World and a multiple award-winner of the World’s Leading Luxury Lodges. Situated in Zululand, Thanda Safari is one of South Africa’s top Big Five game reserves where you are assured of experiencing a uniquely African safari – exclusive close-up encounters with Africa’s magnificent Big Five. Meaning ‘love’ in isiZulu, Thanda is a private game reserve that shows a genuine commitment to the Zulu culture and is passionate about environmental conservation. It is also the perfect place where parents and their children* can experience the bush and enjoy new adventures.
Now SADC country residents can enjoy the best of the Big Five with SADC specials.
Thanda Safari Accommodation SADC Specials: book directly through its central reservations:
- At the 9-suite Thanda Safari Lodge – cost per person sharing per night is R5 082 while children aged 2 – 16 years of age pay 50%. The rates include luxury accommodation, two game drives per day with professional guide and tracker, all meals and selected local beverages (soft drinks, house wines, local spirits and beers), bush walks with specialist walking guides, in-room minibar, wifi and laundry (and one private boma dinner with stays of four nights or more). *Child policy: Two children under the age of 16 can share a suite with two adults;
- At the Villa iZulu (5 suites) exclusive-use, private bush residence for 1 to 6 guests (additional guests pay extra) – R29 592 per night. These rates include a Villa iZulu host, service team, chef, guide, tracker, all meals and selected local beverages, two game drives per day with professional guide and tracker, bush walks with specialist walking guides, wifi and laundry. * Child policy: Children up to the age of 16 are permitted to share;
- Thanda Tented Camp (15 tents) – Rates per person sharing per night are from R2 667 and children aged 6 – 16 years of age pay 50%. The Jabula Tent is R3 270 per adult sharing per night. This includes tented accommodation, two game drives per day with professional guide and tracker, all meals, tea, coffee, juice and water with meals. Limited drinks package available on afternoon game drives and during dinner only.*Child policy:Regrettably no children under the age of 6 can be accommodated at Thanda Tented Camp; one child under the age of 16 can share a tent with two adults.
Excluded from the rates are spa treatments, cellar wines, champagnes, all imported spirits and beers (all wines, spirits and beers before the evening game drive at Thanda Tented Camp), transfers, laundry, minibars (at Thanda Tented Camp), curios, gratuities and items of a personal nature, Conservation Levy private dinners and private bush dinners, guided bush walks (at Thanda Tented Camp).
Activities geared to the kids include the Bucks & Bugs Club which ensures that while the adults are enjoying their activities, the kids are off (safely and under supervision) having a time of their lives – they get to spend with one of the Thanda guides learning about game tracking, spoor identification and the bird and plant life, after which they get a Junior Rangers Certificate. While Thanda does have strict child policies and there are certain child-related rules that have to be adhered to, it is willing to discuss exceptions to these, within reason.
The Honeymoon Special – the Romance Package – honeymoon couples booked for a three-night stay at Thanda Safari Lodge will enjoy a romantic private moon-lit dinner, turndown, a scented bath, champagne on ice, a chocolate fondue for two, a beaded Zulu necklace, a complimentary 45-minute spa treatment per person (subject to availability) and a traditional Zulu blessing beneath the Marula tree. Per couple: R 30 492 (discounted rate).
About Thanda Safari
Thanda Safari is a Big Five game reserve situated on 14 000 hectares in the heart of Zululand, KwaZulu Natal owned by Swedish philanthropists Christin and Dan Olofsson. It offers an authentic South African wildlife experience with excellent game viewing all year round, and has a sincere commitment to the Zulu culture and conservation of the environment; actively involved in conservation and wildlife research, it works to uplift the local communities through ‘Star for Life’ and other projects. Meaning ‘love’ in isiZulu, Thanda is a proud member of The Leading Hotels of the World and multiple winner of The World’s Leading Luxury Lodge.
Thanda Safari offers three different accommodation types, Thanda Safari Lodge, Villa iZulu and Thanda Tented Camp.
- Thanda Safari Lodge has nine bush suites – shaped like a traditional Zulu homestead, the suites have panoramic views of the surrounding game reserve;
- Villa iZulu is an outstanding safari hideaway for families, holidaymakers and wedding parties wanting privacy – situated amidst lush green lawns and surrounded by expanses of wild African bush, Villa iZulu can accommodate 10 guests in five suites.
- Thanda’s Tented Camp, with 15 colonial safari-style tents, each with its own viewing deck and en-suite bathrooms.
Thanda Safari is situated 23km north of Hluhluwe on the N2 approximately 220km north of Durban and is easily accessible from the N2 by gravel road (no 4×4 required). Richards Bay is the closest commercial airport, with King Shaka International Airport, Durban being the closest international airport. Road transfers are available from and to Durban and Richards Bay Airports.
T: +27 (0) 32 586 0149 | www.thanda.com