Busy weekend for the NSRI


Mike Vonk, NSRI Wilderness deputy station commander, said:

At 13h59, Friday, 09th November, NSRI Wilderness duty crew were alerted following unconfirmed reports of an aircraft suspected to have ditched in the sea at Victoria Bay, George.

WC Government Health EMS Control dispatched the AMS/EMS Skymed rescue helicopter and NSRI Wilderness duty crew launched sea rescue craft to investigate.

Emergency Services were placed on alert.

ARCC (Air Rescue Coordination Centre) initiated an investigation and George Airport Air Traffic Control (ATC) confirmed that all aircraft in the area were accounted for.

Following a search no sign of any aircraft accident was found at Victoria Bay.

During investigations ARCC were quickly able to determine, with the assistance of George Airport ATC, that a fire fighting aircraft flying low level over the coastline at Victoria Bay had given eye witnesses the impression of an aircraft ditching in the sea and it was confirmed to be a false alarm with good intentions and all of the deployed rescue resources returned to base.


Tyron Evans, NSRI Plettenberg Bay duty controller, said:

At 16h44, Friday, 09th November, NSRI Plettenberg Bay duty crew were activated following reports of a man injured in a fall at Robberg Nature Reserve hiking trail.

An NSRI Plettenberg Bay medical and rescue crew responded and on arrival on the scene, at the Wild Side of The Gap, a 65 year old German man was treated for an injury sustained from tripping on a board walk, and in a stable condition he was secured into a Stokes Basket stretcher and he was hiked to the car parking area where a Med-Life ambulance has transported the man to hospital in a stable condition accompanied by his wife.


Dewalt Pretorius, NSRI Wilderness duty coxswain, said:

At 15h35, Saturday, 10th November, NSRI Wilderness duty crew were activated to reports of a drowning in progress at Wilderness beach.

WC Government Health EMS were also activated.

On arrival on the scene it was confirmed that 2 swimmers had been in difficulty in the surf, 1 male got out of the water safely unassisted and was not injured and a 66 year old male was rescued by an unidentified bystander who is commended for the effort.

NSRI medics brought the 66 year old man to our sea rescue station where first aid treatment was provided for non-fatal drowning symptoms and he has been transported to hospital in a stable condition for further treatment by EMS ambulance.

Share Button

About southcapenet

Adding value to my domain hosting and online advertising services.
View all posts by southcapenet →