GEORGE, Garden Route (April 2019) – The Skål 2019 Sustainable Tourism Awards have just opened for entries.
“As an international organization of tourism industry leaders, Skål International is a powerful force in the travel and tourism industry to initiate change and encourage the conservation of the environment in order to promote tourism and travel,” says Andrew Rogers, President, Skål International Garden Route. “We have adopted the UNWTO Global Code of Ethics in Tourism, and also support the Sustainable Tourism-Eliminating Poverty (ST-EP initiative).”
Skål International is an Affiliate Member of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), the United Nation’s specialized agency, whose mission is to promote the development of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism. It is also affiliated to other important international organizations, including PATA, IIPT, The Code, ECPAT, ICTP, STI.
Skål launched the Sustainable Tourism Awards in 2002 after the United Nations declaration of 2002 as the Year of Ecotourism and the Mountains, with the purpose of highlighting and acknowledging best practices around the world.
Who may enter?
Any company from the public and private sector, NGOs, government agencies and educational institutions worldwide may submit an entry in one of these categories:
- Community and government projects
- Countryside and biodiversity
- Educational programmes and media
- Major tourist attractions
- Marine and coastal
- Rural accommodation
- Tour operators/travel agents
- Tourist transport
- Urban accommodation
Advantages of entering:
Why should you enter?
- To enhance visibility and get recognition for your outstanding performance in terms of sustainable and responsible tourism.
- To increase your contacts and introduce your products and services to professionals from the tourism industry from all over the world.
- To obtain media coverage among the entire Skål membership worldwide and our international press contacts.
- To personally collect the award during the opening ceremony of the 80thSkål World Congress, an event that offers an excellent opportunity to network with tourism professionals from all over the world.
- To experience the membership of Skål International first hand.
The 18th Sustainable Tourism Awards ceremony will take place on 15 September during the opening ceremony of the 80th Skål World Congress, to be held on board the Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas from 14 to 21 September 2019.
How to enter
Entry is free. Applications close 31 May 2019 at 23:59 CET.
Complete the application form and attach a letter of endorsement from a Skål Club or another tourism organization, tourism government agency or local tourism authorities.