The finalists for the 39th Diners Club Winemaker and 19th Young Winemaker of the Year awards have been announced. Five winemakers have been shortlisted to compete for the prestigious Winemaker of the Year award, while five will vie for the Young Winemaker of the Year title.
The 2019 Diners Club Winemaker and Young Winemaker of the Year Finalists
Winemaker of the Year category: Pinot Noir
- Jacques De Klerk – Radford Dale – 2018 Radford Dale Freedom Pinot Noir
- Richard Kershaw – Kershaw Wines – 2018 Clonal Selection Elgin Pinot Noir & 2018 Hemel-en-Aarde Ridge Pinot Noir
- Daniel Keulder – Nitida – 2017 Nitida Pinot Noir
- Jean-Claude Martin – Creation Wines – 2018 Creation Estate Pinot Noir
- Peter De Wet – De Wetshof – 2017 Nature in Concert Pinot Noir
Young Winemaker of the Year category: White Wines
- Rudger van Wyk – Stark-Condé Wines – 2018 Field Blend
- Tim Whitfield – Tokara – 2019 Sauvignon Blanc
- Thys Smit – Grande Provence – 2018 Grande Provence Chardonnay and 2018 Grande Provence Chenin Blanc
- James Ochse – Stellenbosch Hills – 2017 Kastanjeberg
- Herman Du Preez – Stellenrust – 2018 The Apprentice White Cinsault
The winners of both the Winemaker and the Young Winemaker of the Year Awards will be presented at a black-tie gala dinner at La Residence Hotel in Franschhoek on 23 November 2019.
2019 Diners Club Winemaker of the Year Finalists: Left to right: Peter De Wet (De Wetshof), Jean-Claude Martin (Creation Wines), Richard Kershaw (Kershaw Wines), Jacques De Klerk (Radford Dale) and Daniel Keulder (Nitida)